Thursday, April 2, 2009

"but i thought it came with beans..."

April 1st & 2nd
Oaxaca City, Oaxaca

Arriving impossibly fresh and stunning looking was more challenging than one may think. Landing in Oaxaca, I was down 1 gold bracelet and up a whole lot of holes in the crotch of my patched and re-patched blanco pantalones, I so desparately wanted to bring. Beware: Holes in the crotch spread like wildfires people.

We spent the day touring the charming streets of the city; popping in various cathedrals (absolutley stunning, they really show the churches of America what's up); visited the Zocalo; hiked up to Auditorio Guelaguetza to view the city ariel style; enjoyed a cafe at the ex-convent, now a high-end hotel; passed through several markets (can we say chaos!); explored the casa de la ciudad museum; and experienced my first taste of Tlyuada in a cozy, street side restaurant. The Tyluada was rico but Emma was rather disappointed with her combo especial - beans NOT included. Other first-time foods include: papaya, guyaba and toposo.

Chilling in the courtyard of our very colorful hostel, I'm trying to bust out a quick Spanish lesson before the sun goes down (no outdoor lighting here). Reflecting on the day, I have to be honest. So far I'm still absorbing everything. Initially, things were pretty overwhelming. Note to self: It's stressful not understanding Spanish, especially when visiting a Spanish speaking country. I can't say I finally understand foreigners living in America who do not understand English, but I certainly sympathize with them now. How one can live in a country their entire life without feeling the urgency to become fluent is on them. 24 hours here and I can't get fluent fast enough. On the flip side, Emma has been a great translator. Never before had I heard her speak Spanish. So the first time she exchanged in rapid dialog, I was very impressed. In order to completely grasp my Latin American experience however, the Spanish lessons shall continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment