Monday, May 25, 2009

Homeward Bound


Officially back on American soil as of Saturday at approximately 5:30ish p.m. (thank you very much Delta!). I had mixed feelings about returning home for a quick visit. Nevertheless, a free ticket home to see your worry-riden family for seven days is usually something you can't pass up. It's like they say though, there's no such thing as a free lunch. I know my lack of excitment may sound odd, (and it's not that I didn't miss the fam, however worry-riden they may be, or the good old USofA for that matter) but once you've already put yourself out there and are in backpacker mode, it can be a big adjustment to unadjust to everything you just spent 2 months adjusting to in the first place. Being able to actually understand every word, phrase, conversation -what have you - in evesdropping sight; flushable loo's; drinkable tap water; accomplishing seemingly menial tasks exponentially faster (i.e. getting food, agua, laundry, internet...I'm struggling to fill my days here in the Mitten and it's only been 48 hours); just to highlight a few immediately recognizable differences.

Turns out those mixed feelings straightened right out after a few mixed drinks with some old friends. I now realize a week back in Michigan will be the extra dash of confidence that reconfirms my decision to stay abroad, provide some much needed quality time with my beloveds and allow me to resuit, regear, and repack (and not to mention give my overworked intestines a break). I look forward to the week to come and I look forward to my Colombian summer; I look forward to it all.

1 comment:

  1. so tp flushing toilets and general efficiency aren't that exciting after 48 hours....? good to know. haha. glad you made it back, say hi to the ladies and the fam for me- besos

    ReplyDelete