Monday, March 16, 2009

Locks of Love

Two thousand and nine. I decided to start the new year by doing something for someone else.

Thanks in part to my sister who donated this past summer, on January 2nd, 2009 I donated 11 inches of my precious hair to Locks of Love. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, possibly because I had undergone months of preparation for this very drastic feature change in advance. It was sort of freeing in a way; I had just graduated college and began the new year as an adult. Very second season Felecity-esque. Anyway, just a few days ago I received a letter from Locks of Love informing me my donation had been received and will be used for a child. Even after three months passing (along with the thrill of the entire process) it felt so good all over again.


I highly recommend all of you long-locked girls to do the same. It is a great thing to do for someone who has suffered so severely, and I'm actually loving the new do! And if you are about to give me that "I look awful with short hair...I don't know, it might take years to grow back" saga, keep in mind people, it has probably been at least ten years since I have done such a chop (not exageranting when i say drastic). Your hair will grow back. I've gained a solid two inches since January and my roots are slower than a slug! I told myself no matter how much I dislike it, I have to feel good knowing it is bringing someone else so much joy and a glimpse of "normal" back into their lives.

Finally, another great aspect of donating is the conveience and security of having your regular stylist do the big chop for you instead of going to a random one-timer. Check out their website to learn more: http://www.locksoflove.org/ and help a child cope with the loss of their hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment