Monday, March 16, 2009

Riding the waves, creating the plan

It has never felt unusual to me that those closest to me are jet-setters; always eager to explore a new corner of the world. Now I realize that these people, my friends, with such deep senses of adventure implanted inside are truly unique. Traveling has never been a question of embarkment for me, my ever-present curiosity has made it clear that it is something I will forever crave.

However, figuring out and making my own travel plans has been somewhat of a rollercoaster of an event. They have started out as long-term globetrotting treks with varied destinations (not very practical to say the least, but hey, a girl can dream), to a more realistic outline. Things have not been set in stone for the tail end of my trip, but I definately feel content with what I hope to be my itenerary.

Based on time limitations, money (of course the last-minute realizations of immunization shots; summer rent that I wanted to altogether avoid, telling myself it would magically take care of itself; a looming loan payment; etc.), friends, family, work...and well reality, a different than expected, yet still very exciting plan has been unfolded.

April 1st (what do you know, April Fools Day...let's hope this makes for an interesting start) I will be flying direct from Detroit to Oaxaca, Mexico where I will begin my journey. Easter week my friend has found quite the diggs to kick back in at the beach. Check out our pad and don't get too jealous, i'll be sure to take a lot of pictures :)


Afterwards I plan on taking off for San Andres Island, Colombia to participate in a Habitat for Humanity program. We will be renovating kitchens and bathrooms - giving some running water for the very first time! I can't tell you how excited I am about this, it was one of those things I wasn't initially planning on doing that worked itself out perfectly. The day I was interviewed and accepted into the program happened to be Ash Wednesday. I sat in Mass with a giant smile pasted across my face looking like a dufus. I couldn't help it, I was just so excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment